This course is intended as a progressive, step-by-step introduction to the basic aspects of playing the bass guitar and should provide a solid foundation on which to build your playing skills.
Talkingbass Beginner’s Course
What is the Talkingbass.net Beginner’s Course?
The Beginner’s Course is a progressive, eight lesson, step-by-step guide to getting starting on the bass guitar.
What level of player is the course aimed at?
The Beginner’s Course is aimed at absolute beginners and players who have only been playing a while but possibly need a little more guidance in the foundational aspects of the instrument.
What Will I Learn?
You will learn all the basic skills required to get started on the road to becoming a well-rounded bass player. You’ll learn how to hold the bass, tune the bass, learn the notes on the fretboard, fingerpicking techniques, plectrum technique and you’ll also receive important tips on what and how to practice as you develop your skills.
How Long Are The Lessons?
The lesson length’s vary but the complete course is two and a half hours long spread over eight lessons.
How is the course presented? Do I Download Anything?
The course is hosted on the Talkingbass website so there are no video files to download. There are two downloads within the course:
- The Beginner’s Course Workbook: 19 page lesson-by-lesson work through of all the course material
- Tuning Reference Tones: These are the tones used in the course as a reference when tuning the bass
Can I see the Lesson Index?
Yes, you can. Here are the 8 lessons:
- Lesson #1: Absolute Basics
- Lesson #2: Getting Started With Fingerpicking
- Lesson #3: Notes
- Lesson #4: Introduction To Rhythm
- Lesson #5: The Fretting Hand
- Lesson #6: Two Finger Picking
- Lesson #7: Using A Plectrum
- Lesson #8: The Next Step
Can I see a Sample Lesson from the course?
Of course you can. Here’s the first lesson: