What is the Simple Steps To Sight Reading Course?
Simple Steps To Sight Reading is the ultimate guide to reading music on bass guitar. It is a multimedia course using a combination of video lessons, PDF workbooks and MP3 backing tracks to provide the most comprehensive, step-by-step approach to sight reading available today. The course is split into 9 levels which can be viewed in the same way as academic Music Theory or Practice grades and these levels are sold in packs of three as follows:
- Pack 1: Getting Started – Level 1, 2, 3
- Pack 2: Intermediate – Level 4, 5, 6
- Pack 3: Advanced – Level 7, 8, 9
What level of player is the course aimed at?
The course is aimed at any player from beginner to advanced level. Many advanced bass players are lacking in this very specialized area of playing so the number of playing years and experience is irrelevant. If you cannot read music – you cannot read music and this course serves to take you from the absolute basics of reading through to an advanced professional level whatever your standard.
What Will I Learn?
After completing Pack 1: Levels 1, 2 and 3, you will have acquired an understanding of the following areas of reading music
- The basics of written music notation
- Complete familiarity and the ability to read every note in the first position of the fretboard. Natural, sharps and flats.
- All rhythms from whole note through to quarter notes including rests and ties
- The Cycle Of Fifths and how to read Key Signatures
- The specific keys G Major and F Major.
- Many common symbols used in written music from the basic Clef and Time Signature markings through to Dynamics and Coda signs.
How Long Are The Lessons?
The lesson lengths vary but each level and pack will be many hours in length, providing many weeks, months or even years of practice.
How is the course presented? Do I Download Anything?
The course is hosted on the Talkingbass website so there are no video files to download. There is a lesson material zip file containing all of the course material arranged in appropriate folders.
Can I see the Lesson Index?
Yes, you can. Here is a list of every lesson:
- Lesson #1 – Basic Notation
- Lesson #2 – Notes in Position
- Lesson #3 – Pitch Reading 1: E String
- Lesson #4 – Pitch Reading 2: A String
- Lesson #5 – Pitch Reading 3: E & A String
- Lesson #6 – Pitch Reading 4: D String
- Lesson #7 – Pitch Reading 5: E, A & D Strings
- Lesson #8 – Pitch Reading 6: G String
- Lesson #9 – Pitch Reading 7: All Strings
- Lesson #10 – Introduction To Rhythm
- Lesson #11 – Half Notes
- Lesson #12 – Rests
- Lesson #13 – Tied Notes
- Lesson #14 – More symbols
- Lesson #15 – Workbook
- Lesson #16 – Sample Pieces
- Lesson #1 – Accidentals – Sharps of the E string
- Lesson #2 – Sharps: A string
- Lesson #3 – Natural Signs & Courtesy Accidentals
- Lesson #4 – Sharps: E & A Strings
- Lesson #5 – Sharps: D String
- Lesson #6 – Sharps: G String
- Lesson #7 – Flats: E string
- Lesson #8 – Flats: A String
- Lesson #9 – Flats: D String
- Lesson #10 – Flats: G String
- Lesson #11 – Mixed Accidentals
- Lesson #12 – Introduction to Quarter Notes
- Lesson #13 – Quarter Note Reading Sheets
- Lesson #14 – Quarter Note Rests
- Lesson #15 – Quarter Note Rests Reading Sheets
- Lesson #16 – Quarter Note Ties
- Lesson #17 – Quarter Note Tie Reading Sheets
- Lesson #18 – First and Second Time Bars
- Lesson #19 – Speed Reading Exercises
- Lesson #20 – Level 2 Workbook
- Lesson #21 – Sample Pieces
- Lesson #1 – Tonality and The Major Scale
- Lesson #2 – Key Signatures
- Lesson #3 – Spelling Drills
- Lesson #4 – The Cycle Of 5ths
- Lesson #5 – Sharp Key Practice
- Lesson #6 – The Cycle Of 4ths
- Lesson #7 – Flat Key Practice
- Lesson #8 – Key Patterns
- Lesson #9 – G Major
- Lesson #10 – F Major
- Lesson #11 – Dotted Half Notes
- Lesson #12 – Dotted Half Note Rests
- Lesson #13 – Dotted Half Note Ties
- Lesson #14 – The 3/4 Time Signature
- Lesson #15 – 3/4 Rests
- Lesson #16 – 3/4 Ties
- Lesson #17 – Section Markings
- Lesson #18 – Multimeasure Rests
- Lesson #19 – Dynamics
- Lesson #20 – DS al Coda
- Lesson #11 – Workbook & Sample Pieces
Can I see a Sample Lesson from the course?
Of course you can. Here’s the first lesson: