This course is intended as a progressive, step-by-step introduction to the basic aspects of playing the bass guitar and should provide a solid foundation on which to build your playing skills.
Beginner Bass Guitar Course
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Beginner Bass Guitar Course?
The Beginner’s Course is a progressive, ten lesson, step-by-step guide to getting starting on the bass guitar.
What level of player is the course aimed at?
The Beginner’s Course is aimed at absolute beginners and players who have only been playing a while but possibly need a little more guidance in the fundamental aspects of the instrument.
What Will I Learn?
You will learn all the basic skills required to get started on the road to becoming a well-rounded bass player. You’ll learn how to hold the bass, tune the bass, learn the notes on the fretboard, fingerpicking techniques and you’ll also receive important tips on what and how to practice as you develop your skills.
How Long Are The Lessons?
The lesson length’s vary but the complete course is over two hours long, spread over ten lessons.
How is the course presented? Do I Download Anything?
The course is hosted on the Talkingbass website so there are no video files to download. There are two downloads within the course:
- The Beginner’s Course Workbook: 34 page lesson-by-lesson work through of all the course material
- Tuning Reference Tones: These are the tones used in the course as a reference when tuning the bass
Can I see the Lesson Index?
Yes, you can. Here are the 10 lessons:
- Lesson #1 – The Basics
- Lesson #2 – The Fretting Hand
- Lesson #3 – Navigating The Fretboard
- Lesson #4 – Rhythm Basics
- Lesson #5 – Notes On The Neck
- Lesson #6 – Muting & Technique
- Lesson #7 – Two Finger Picking
- Lesson #8 – The Major Scale
- Lesson #9 – Five Simple Bass Riffs
- Lesson #10 – The Next Step