Unlock The Door To A World Of Musical Possibilities
Chord Tones Are Your Key To Better Bass Practice
A Lifetime Of Practice Material
53 Step By Step lessons that will change your bass playing forever!
“The study and application of chord tones will change your bass playing FOREVER!”
“Do you ever wonder how it is that some players can create interesting bass lines through any chord progression? How they can weave a melodic bass line through a chord progression while effortlessly moving around the fretboard? You might even have noticed some players adding lots of interesting chromatic notes into bass lines, fills and solos while still outlining the chord changes. How do they do this?”
“Well, the answer lies in the study and practical application of CHORD TONES! By learning the principles of chord construction, applying the chord tones to the bass fretboard (in the form of arpeggios) and then employing those notes in our practice we can gain a deeper understanding of bass lines and music in general.
It’s no exaggeration to say that chord tones are the single most useful area of study a bass player can practice.
“Chord Tone Essentials will show you how to create bass lines, melodies or solos over ANY chord or progression while providing a system for unlocking the ENTIRE fretboard”
Mark J Smith (Creator of Talkingbass)
- Lesson #1-0 – Course Introduction
- Lesson #1-1 – Interval Basics
- Lesson #1-2 – Minor Intervals
- Lesson #1-3 – Augmented & Diminished Intervals
- Lesson #1-4 – Alternative Fingerings
- Lesson #1-5 – Triads
- Lesson #1-6 – Triad Isolation Practice
- Lesson #1-7 – Triad Progressions
- Lesson #1-8 – Seventh Chords
- Lesson #1-9 – Seventh Chord Isolated Practice
- Lesson #1-10 – The Essentials
- Lesson #1-11 – Seventh Chord Progressions
- Lesson #1-12 – Extensions
- Lesson #1-13 – Altered Extensions
- Lesson #1-14 – Added Note Chords
- Lesson #1-15 – Suspended Chords
- Lesson #1-16 – Inversions
- Lesson #1-17 – Slash Chords
- Lesson #1-18 – Alternative Notation
- Lesson #2-1 – Cycle Of 4ths
- Lesson #2-2 – Running The Cycle
- Lesson #2-3 – The Three Patterns
- Lesson #2-4 – Cycling In One Position
- Lesson #2-5 – Second Position
- Lesson #2-6 – Tonic Positions
- Lesson #2-7 – Extended Patterns
- Lesson #2-8 – D String Tonic Position
- Lesson #2-9 – Position Shifts
- Lesson #2-10 – Arpeggio Sequences
- Lesson #2-11 – Two Octave Triads
- Lesson #2-12 – Two String 7th Chords
- Lesson #2-13 – Two Octave 7th Chords
- Lesson #2-14 – Spelling Drills
- Lesson #2-15 – Spelling Minor Triads & More
- Lesson #2-16 – One String Arpeggios
- Lesson #3-1 – Chord Tone Application
- Lesson #3-2 – Applying The 5th
- Lesson #3-3 – Applying The 3rd
- Lesson #3-4 – Applying The 7th
- Lesson #3-5 – Non Chord Tones
- Lesson #3-6 – Neighbour Notes
- Lesson #3-7 – Passing Notes
- Lesson #3-8 – Mixing Devices
- Lesson #3-9 – Approach Notes
- Lesson #3-10 – Enclosures
- Lesson #3-11 – Chromatic Notes
- Lesson #3-12 – Deconstructing Bass Riffs
- Lesson #3-13 – Walking Bass Lines
- Lesson #3-14 – Fills
- Lesson #3-15 – Soloing #1 Chord Changes
- Lesson #3-16 – Soloing #2 Melodic Devices
- Lesson #3-17 – Soloing #3 Guide Tones
- Lesson #3-18 – Conclusion
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Chord Tone Essentials Course?
Chord Tone Essentials is a complete, step by step guide to understanding chord construction principles and how chord tones can be applied to every area of music from bass lines to melodies and solos. Note: This is not a ‘bass chords’ course. The chord tones are presented in arpeggio form.
What level of player is the course aimed at?
The course is aimed at any player from beginner to advanced level.
What Will I Learn?
After completing all 3 Modules you will understand the construction principles behind EVERY chord you’re ever likely to see, you’ll know the notes of EVERY chord, you’ll have the ability to see chord tones and arpeggios over the entire fretboard and you’ll be able to apply all of this knowledge to every area of your bass playing.
How Long Are The Lessons?
The lesson lengths vary but the complete course is over 8 hours in length and provides an entire lifetime of practice material.
How is the course presented? Do I Download Anything?
The course is hosted on the Talkingbass website so there are no video files to download. There is a lesson material zip file containing all of the course material arranged in appropriate folders.
Can I see a Sample Lesson from the course?
Of course you can. Here’s the first lesson:
How Do I Purchase The Course?
Simply click on the Enroll Now button below. From that page you will be able to pay for the course via Paypal or Debit/Credit card.