What is the Bassic Fundamentals Course?
The Bassic Fundamentals Course is designed to provide a complete core foundation of bass guitar skills and musical knowledge. The course is split into four modules, each one covering a different general topic and set of goals.
What level of player is the course aimed at?
The course is aimed at any player from beginner to intermediate level although even advanced players might benefit from certain aspects of the course. It’s always good to go back over the fundamentals.
What Will I Learn?
The 48 lessons are split into 4 distinct modules and each module addresses a different range of topics that are listed in the lesson rundown below. However as a brief overview, after finishing the course you will have acquired the following skills and knowledge:
- A solid bass technique in both hands. This covers both fingerpicking and other styles such as slapping.
- An understanding of how to create basslines and lock in with a drummer
- The ability to tune, re-string and setup the relief, action and intonation of a bass guitar.
- An understanding of the basics of music theory and how it can be applied to the bass.
- A greater familiarity of the notes all over the fretboard
- An introduction to sight reading music and reading chord charts
- A detailed understanding of bass tone and effects pedals
- A set of essential tips on playing in a band and learning songs
- A solid and comprehensive approach to practice using the R.A.I.S.E concept
How Long Are The Lessons?
The lesson length’s vary but the complete course is over 10 hours in length.
How is the course presented? Do I Download Anything?
The course is hosted on the Talkingbass website so there are no video files to download. There is a lesson material zip file for each module containing a Course Workbook and any relevant practice tracks.
Can I see the Lesson Index?
Yes, you can. Here is a list of every lesson:
Module 1 – The Core Foundation
- Lesson #1 – Course Introduction
- Lesson #2 – Practice Tips & Warmups
- Lesson #3 – Tuning
- Lesson #4 – Strings
- Lesson #5 – Changing Strings
- Lesson #6 – Notes Of The Fretboard
- Lesson #7 – Major Scale & Key Signatures
- Lesson #8 – Intervals
- Lesson #9 – Minor Scales and Keys
- Lesson #10 – Major and Minor Arpeggios
- Lesson #11 – Chord Charts and Symbols
- Lesson #12 – Drums & Drumbeats
- Lesson #13 – Riffs
- Lesson #14 – Applying Music Theory
- Lesson #15 – Chords By Number
- Lesson #16 – Seventh Chords
Module 2 – Technique
- Lesson #1 – Fretting Hand Basics
- Lesson #2 – Finger Assignment
- Lesson #3 – Avoiding Typewriter Fingers
- Lesson #4 – Note Control
- Lesson #5 – The Moveable Anchor
- Lesson #6 – Alternate Picking
- Lesson #7 – Home Position
- Lesson #8 – Joint Barring
- Lesson #9 – Raking
- Lesson #10 – Hammer Ons & Pull Offs
- Lesson #11 – Slides
- Lesson #12 – Ghost Notes
- Lesson #13 – Harmonics
- Lesson #14 – An Introduction To Slapping
Module 3 – Tone and Setup Guide
- Lesson #1 – Tone 1: Physical Approach
- Lesson #2 – Tone 2: Pickups
- Lesson #3 – Tone 3: Tone Controls
- Lesson #4 – Tone 4: EQ
- Lesson #5 – Effects 1: Gain and Dynamics
- Lesson #6 – Effects 2: Tone Effects
- Lesson #7 – Effects 3: Modulation & Ambience
- Lesson #8 – Effects 4: Pedalboard Setup
- Lesson #9 – Bass Setup Basics
- Lesson #10 – Bass and Amp Buying Guide
Module 4 – The Next Step
- Lesson #1 – Spelling Drills
- Lesson #2 – Metronome Practice Tips
- Lesson #3 – Reading Music #1 – Pitch
- Lesson #4 – Reading Music #2 – Rhythm
- Lesson #5 – Reading Music #3 – Combined
- Lesson #6 – Learning Songs
- Lesson #7 – Playing In A Band
- Lesson #8 – The R.A.I.S.E Approach
Can I see a Sample Lesson from the course?
Of course you can. Here’s the first lesson:
How Do I Purchase The Course?
Simply Click Here to be taken to the Bassic Fundamentals Purchase page. From that page you will be able to pay for the course via the Paypal checkout button. Once purchased, your Talkingbass Membership will be updated to include the Bassic Fundamentals Course. You can then access the course via the Courses Page.
PLEASE NOTE: You will need to be signed up as a Talkingbass Member (Free Membership).
- If you are a Member then please Sign In before purchasing (use the Login link in the main menu).
- If you are NOT a member then you’ll be prompted to Sign Up before purchase